One of my most asked questions is how to I fit everything in to my life. As a mom, yoga teacher, business owner, blogger, wife.... (have I missed anything?), I have alot going on and to fit in working out, walking the dogs, eating, sleeping etc aswell, sounds like a big feat but to me it's just life! I don't plan, I don't have a rigid structure or schedule, I have a number of things to get done in a day but who doesn't?! I find mornings to be my most productive. I prefer to get up early and plough head first in to the day to set me up for a successful day and here are some of the things I do....
1) I start every day with a mug of warm water with lemon and cider vinegar
It's always best to hydrate before you drink caffeine, plus it helps to flush out the digestive system and adds to your water intake for the day!
2) While I'm drinking my water I take a few minutes just to sit and practise gratitude. Sometimes I meditate, sometimes I sit outside and listen to the birds sing, sometimes I roll out my mat and stretch and do some yoga and sometimes I just stand in the kitchen and just take everything in. If you're not used to meditating or being still or practising gratitude this can seem a little bit weird or a little bit pointless but if you get into the habit I assure you it starts the day on such a positive and that infiltrates into everything you do afterwards. If you're struggling just try listing 3 things you're grateful for. I don't usually write them down, I either say them out loud or in my head. There's a common misconception that meditation and gratitude have to be practised in a strict manner or sitting cross legged with your eyes closed then grabbing a notebook and scribbling things down. Sure that works for some but it doesn't work for other and that fine! You can still have a gratitude practise without ever putting pen to paper! And it doesn't have to be deep and meaningful! It can be as simple as I'm grateful for the water I'm drinking, I'm grateful for my family. Just try it! As you do it more and more often it becomes a habit and it gets easier and you'll find you're thankful and grateful for more and more and you see how many great things you have in your life!
3) I get outside and I move. I either walk the dogs or go for a run. This is the time I clear my head and I practice mindfulness and sometimes walking meditation. I don't take my phone, I just take the time to take in my surroundings and work through anything weighing on my mind (I find it takes my mind off the running too which doesn't come naturally to me and is a struggle most of the time! ha!)
4) I move my body (this one isn't every morning but at least 2/3 times a week I do a weights or HIIT session). I either do a 20 minutes tabata style session with my kettlebell or weights, a boxing session or I do a slower weights session. I prefer working out first thing, fasted because I find I make excuses if I leave it till later in the day. It's taken me quite a long time to work out because I want to and not because I feel I 'have' to. I don't have aesthetic goals, weight loss goals or feel the need to intensely exercise every day. I workout because it makes me feel good and because I want to! Sure it shapes my body and it builds muscle but this is now a by product of working out and not the main focus for me
5) I have a coffee and/or breakfast. Recently I haven't found myself wanting breakfast everyday. I used to be a stickler for eating breakfast almost as soon as I got up, huge bowls of oats generally, or if not straight after exercise but sometimes I find my body just isn't ready yet and that's fine! Sometimes I grab a shake, sometimes a bagel with peanut butter, other days it's avo toast or sometimes I just don't feel like eating first thing, I've learned to listen to my body and instead of forcing it to do something it doesn't want to (which was leaving me bloated and miserable), I let it guide me intuitively and that's suiting me much better!
Somewhere in the midst of all this I take the kids to school and shower and make sure everyone is set up for the day! Preparation is key! The night before lunches are packed, snacks are prepped, bags are packed, I even put water in the kettle so it's ready to just flick a switch in the morning. I'm always sitting at my desk by 9am ready to take on the day having known I've taken the time for self care already and focussed to tackle whatever the day throws at me! I try not to look at my phone or emails before I go for my walk or run because I know I can get sucked into the vortex so I live in ignorant bliss for the first hour or so in the mornings and it works for me!
I'd love to hear your morning routine or tips and hacks!! Share them below or send me a message x